Site Menu

How a tax is amended?   

Where is my Amended Return?

To make changes, corrections or to add more information to your tax return has already been accepted by the IRS, you must file an amendment to its statement to modify his statement to federal or state taxes.   

Should I file an amended return?   

If your federal tax return has been filed and processed by the IRS, and you need to, for example, add more information to your tax return or make some additional changes, you will need to amend your return using Form 1040X Amended Statement Individual tax.   

When should amend your tax return?

You must file an amended return if you need to make changes to a statement that it has been accepted, including marital status, dependent information, Credits, Deductions, etc. Significant fiscal Tip: Your statement of state or federal tax may be affected and incur additional tax liabilities. soon implement a service that will allow you to do this process at the state level. While introduce this service, please contact your state tax agency.  

When should not amend your return   

If you do not file your return, you have possibly made simple math errors or forgotten to attach certain ways. The IRS usually detects these errors and corrects mistakes or request additional information from you. If you use our online tax software and does the math for you correctly, and ensures that you have complete appropriate forms.   

When is the deadline to amend my tax return?    

According to the IRS, you must submit an amendment from three years since passed the original deadline or between two years you paid the tax, whichever is later.  

If you owe taxes, you must file an amended return, even if three years have passed. Refunds are lost after three years, but the tax debts remain for at least ten years.

How long will it take for my amendment to be processed?    

Once you submit your Form 1040X Amended Statement Individual Tax will take between 8-12 weeks from the date of receipt of the IRS till the form is processed. Call this phone number to check the status of their amendment: 1-800-829-1040.  

Related Topics 

Know how to determine your filing status

What kind of income is taxable?

Limit dates 2018

Preparing an application for extension