Child or Dependent Care Tax Credit 2019
This Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit Calculator is only only for Tax Year 2019. You might have paid for childcare and dependent care in 2019. Find out if you might qualify for the 2019 Child or Dependent Care Credit by using the CAREuator below. You don't have to read a lot of complicated tax documents; just answer a few simple questions and you will know; see the current tax year Child and Dependent Care Credit Calculator.
Even though you can no longer eFile your 2019 Taxes online, you can estimate and prepare your 2019 Tax forms. These can be filled in online before being printed and mailed to the correct 2019 IRS mailing address - see our states page for state addresses and other information. You can file your current year return regardless of when you file a past due return - sign up for a free eFile.com account now and electronically file your presently due tax return.
Tax Tip for Current Year Tax Returns:
Take advantage of simple, fully online tax preparation and electronic filing of the current year return on eFile.com!
2019 Dependent Care Credit
Use the tool below to find out if you may be eligible to claim this credit on your 2019 Return quickly and easily.
Who Qualifies for the Child and Dependent Care Credit?
- Any child who is your dependent and was under age 13 when the care was provided, or
- Your spouse or dependent age 13 or over, if physically or mentally incapable of caring for themselves.
In addition, the Qualifying Person must have lived with you for more than half of the year. There are exceptions for a Qualifying Person who was born or died during the year and for a child of divorced or separated parents.
- The Child and Dependent Care Credit can be worth anywhere from 20% to 35% of some or all of the dependent care expenses you paid. The percentage you use depends on your income. If your income is below $15,000, you will qualify for the full 35%. The percentage falls by 1% for every additional $2,000 of income until it reaches 20% (for an income of $43,000 or more). When you file your current year return on eFile.com, we calculate this for you so you get the maximum amount - sign up here.
- The 20%-35% is taken from up to $3,000 of expenses paid for one Qualifying Person or from up to $6,000 of expenses paid for two or more Qualifying Persons. Therefore, the maximum Child and Dependent Care Credit is worth $2,100 (based on 2 or more dependents and $6,000 or more of qualifying expenses).
- Before figuring the credit, you must reduce your qualifying expenses by any amount of child or dependent care benefits that were provided by your employer and that you deducted or excluded from your income.
- The Child and Dependent Care Credit is not refundable, so it is not worth anything if you owe no income tax.
Learn more in IRS Publication 503 - Child and Dependent Care Expenses.
For your current tax return, eFile.com makes it easy for you to claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit on your tax return. We will prepare this form for you and your completed return will then include the Form 2441 Child and Dependent Care Expenses - sign up here for a free account.
When you provide the information for the credit, you must include the Social Security Number (SSN) of each qualifying person in order to claim the credit, as well as the name, address, and taxpayer identification number of your child or dependent care provider.
Did Somebody Claim Your Dependent?
A Qualifying Person for the Child and Dependent Care Credit may only be claimed on one tax return. If a dependent is claimed on more than one tax return (for example, a child is claimed by both divorced parents), the IRS will apply a set of tiebreaker rules to see who gets to claim the dependent.
Learn more about the dependent tiebreaker rules and who gets to claim a child as a dependent.
See what other tax credits and tax deductions may be available to you.
If you have to prepare back taxes for 2019 or other years, use this link: back taxes. Don't handle all these complicated forms alone; use eFile.com each year to prepare and e-file your return entirely online - sign up free here. This is only available for the current year tax return as the IRS and states only accept e-filed present year returns.
TurboTax® is a registered trademark of Intuit, Inc.
H&R Block® is a registered trademark of HRB Innovations, Inc.