Site Menu

What Are the October Federal and State Tax Return efile Deadlines?  

the right time is now

the right time is now

Are you required to file a 2017 IRS and/or State Tax Return but have not done so yet?


Did you efile a Tax Extension by April 18, 2018 but have not completed and filed your Income Tax Return?


Did you not file a Tax Return because you didn't have the budget to pay for taxes owed? 

If your answered "Yes" to any of the questions above, the efile deadline for your 2017 Federal Tax Return is October 15, 2018. If you also need to prepare and file a state return, your deadline varies based on your state (see State Tax Return Deadlines).

Where Do I Start Completing and Filing My 2017 Tax Return?

Start preparing and efiling your return now OR sign into your account.

Before you start preparing and filng your tax return, we recommend following the steps below:

1. Find Out If You Are Required to File a 2017 Tax Return 

Not sure if you need to file a tax return? Use our free FILEucator tax tool below-simply answer a few simple questions and you'll find out if you are required to file or not! 

Start FILEucator Now

2. Estimate If You Owe Taxes or Expect a Tax Refund 

You may want to estimate your 2016 taxes to get an idea of your taxes owed or tax refund amount. Our free TaxStimator tax calculator can help! 

3. Find Out How to Pay - even if you don't have the budget now - for Any Owed Taxes and Penalties

The penalties for not filing are generally higher than not paying all taxes owed by the due date. However, there are no penalties if you expect a tax refund (but you must file your return within three years of the original tax return deadline to claim your refund). If you owe taxes, file now and pay what you can afford. 

You have a few options to pay your IRS balance, depending on whether or not you have the funds: 

If You Have the Funds to Pay Your Taxes

  • Direct Bank Transfer: Make a quick online payment directly from your bank account when you prepare and file your tax return online.
  • Mail a Check or Money Order: A payment voucher will be generated once you prepare and efile your tax return on You can use this to pay with a check or money order.
  • Credit or Debit Card: Pay your taxes owed online with your credit card or debit card. Note that there is a "convenience" fee based on the amount you pay.

See more details about the above direct tax payment options.

If You DON'T Have the Funds to Pay Your Taxes

  • Short-Term Extension of Time to Pay: If you will be able to pay your tax balance due within 120 days, call the IRS to see if you can qualify for a short-term extension of time to pay. If you are approved, you might still accrue interest and/or penalties on your balance as well as the application fee for an installment agreement.
  • Installment Plan: If you owe no more than $50,000, you may qualify for an IRS installment agreement. There is a non-refundable $105 fee to apply, and you might still owe interest and/or penalties to the IRS for late payment.

  • Offer-in-Compromise: Be aware that this is not an option for most taxpayers and is meant to be a last resort. It is an offer to pay off your tax debt for lower than the amount you owe. The IRS will only ever approve this if they believe that they will never be able to obtain the full amount from you, because of your financial circumstances.

See more details about the above tax payment installment plan options.

What Else Do I Need to Know Before I File My 2017 Tax Return?

Find out if you are required to file a tax return, claim a dependent, and more with our free Tax Tools

Learn about other tax return deadlines