File a 2017 Tax Return

Whether or not you are required to file a 2017 federal income tax return depends on several factors: filing status, age, taxable income, dependency status, and whether you meet a few other special requirements. You can no longer e-file a 2017 Return; 2017 tax forms.

File your current year tax return online on! First, see if you need to file a current year return. Use the eFile Tax App to prepare and e-file current year returns as past year returns are not able to be electronically filed anywhere. The eFile platform handles the tax forms and calculations for you and helps claim tax credits. Use to eFileIT in the current year!

Even if you're not required to file a 2017 return, there are reasons you may want to file a tax return.

Do I need to file 2017 Tax Return?

Select Your Filing Status

I don't know my filing status.

How Do I File a 2017 Tax Return? 

If you have determined that you may need to or want to file 2017 Taxes, you will need to prepare your 2017 Return on paper and mail it to the IRS since they only accept e-filed tax returns for the current tax year. Follow these instructions on how to file your 2017 Tax Return: 

  1. Find and download 2017 tax forms.
  2. Complete the form(s) on the online editor.
  3. Print it out and sign it at the bottom of page 2. Attach any tax documents (W-2, 1099-MISC, etc.) to your return. 
  4. Mail your return to the IRS address listed on your return - not the current address.

You can file your current year return regardless of when you complete your 2017 or other previous year return. On, this can be done online; you can prepare your return and not have to worry about any of the calculations or selecting the right forms. Sign up here: IT's Less Taxing!

Consult the information below to find out if you are required to file a 2017 Tax Return:

  • Minimum Income Requirements to File a Tax Return
  • Other Reasons to File a Tax Return
  • Requirements for Dependents to File a Federal Income Tax Return
  • Reasons You May Want to File a Tax Return
  • Taxable vs Nontaxable Income.

Minimum Income Requirements to File a Federal Income Tax Return 

The minimum income required to e-file or file a tax return for Tax Year 2017 depends on your income, age, and filing status. The minimum income levels for the various filing statuses are listed in the table below. If you earned below the minimum income for your filing status, you may not be required to file a federal tax return. However, there are reasons why you may still want to file.

Filing Status Age Minimum W-2 Income Requirement Minimum Self-Employment Income Requirement
Single Under 65 $10,400 $400
65 or older $11,950 $400
Head of Household Under 65 $13,400 $400
65 or older $14,950 $400
Married Filing Jointly Under 65 (both spouses) $20,800 $400
65 or older (one spouse) $22,050 $400
65 or older (both spouses) $23,300 $400
Married Filing Separately Any age $4,050 $400
Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Children Under 65 $16,750 $400
65 or older $18,000 $400

Learn more about selecting a filing status and find out what income is taxable.

Other Reasons to File a Tax Return

Regardless of your gross income, you are generally required to file an income tax return if any of the following are true:

If I Am Under Sixteen and This is My First Time Filing a Tax Return, Can I e-File It?

If you are under age 16 and you have never filed a tax return, you cannot e-file your first year. You can prepare your 2017 return using fillable forms, print it, and mail it to the IRS to file it. You will be able to e-file your return the next year.

Requirements for Dependents to File a Federal Income Tax Return

Are you a dependent and don't know whether or not to file a tax return? Find out how to file a tax return as a dependent.

You May Want to File a Tax Return... (Even if You Are Not Required To)

There are several reasons why you may want to file or e-file a 2017 Tax Return even if you do not meet the minimum income requirements:

Taxable Income vs. Non-Taxable Income

Whether or not you are required to file a tax return depends on the type(s) of income that you have. There are many kinds of taxable income, as well as many types of non-taxable income. Your gross income generally includes income from all sources, in whatever form it takes. Below are examples of taxable and non-taxable income you may need to consider.

Examples of Taxable Income: Wages and salaries, tips and gratuities, unemployment benefits, canceled/forgiven debt, self-employment income.

Learn more about taxable income.

Examples of Non-Taxable Income: Child support, insurance proceeds (accident, casualty, health, life), meals and lodging for the convenience of employer, Veterans’ benefits, Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)

Learn more about non-taxable income.

Do I Need to File a Previous Year Tax Return?