Previous Year or old AGI - Adjusted Gross Income
When you efile your 2013 Tax Return, you will need to provide one of the following to prove your Identity to the IRS:
- your 2012 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) OR
- a new 2013 Electronic Filing PIN.
Once you have verified your Identity with the IRS, you need to enter a PIN or Signature PIN to sign your 2013 tax return. You can create this 5 number signature PIN on your own.
Detailed instructions on how to enter your Identity PIN and/or AGI on efile.com.
What is a previous-year AGI?: This is the Adjusted Gross Income amount on last year's tax return (2012). The AGI establishes your Identity so you can efile your Tax Return.
Why would I need a previous-year AGI? Only if you don't get an electronic identifying PIN from the IRS.
Do I qualify to get a previous-year AGI? Yes, if you filed a tax return last year. The AGI is listed on the return.
Where Can I Find My previous-year AGI? You can find your 2012 AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) on your 2012 Tax Return. Depending on which form you filed, look for your AGI on:
- Line 37 of Form 1040
- Line 21 of Form 1040A
- Line 4 of Form 1040EZ
- Line 36 of Form 1040NR
I did not efile my previous-year tax return on efile.com. How can I get my AGI? Find out how to get a copy of your latest Federal Tax Return here.
For a copy of your State Tax Return please contact your State Tax Agency.
Alternatively, you can call the IRS Telephone Assistance line at 1-800-829-1040. The IRS can tell you last year's AGI over the phone, once they have verified your identity.
Once I have my previous-year AGI, where do I enter it? Follow the instructions on how to enter your AGI here.
Once I have my AGI, do I still need to enter a PIN from the IRS as my Identity? No, you will not need to get one.
Where do I get my Signature PIN? You create this 5 number PIN by yourself.
What If I don't have my previous-year AGI? You can get an IRS PIN from the IRS and use that instead. Learn how to get and enter your new Electronic Filing PIN.
Instructions on How to Correctly Enter Your 2012 AGI on efile.com
First, please sign in to your tax return: http://www.efile.com/tax-return-signin/
- After you sign in, please click the "Results" link located on the left menu.
- On the next screen, you will see your refund/balance due amount. Click "Continue".
- Your return will build. When it is finished, click "Continue". (Click the "View Return" button if you want to view/print your forms).
- The next screen is the "Efile Selection" screen. Make sure you select the return(s) you want to efile. Click "Continue".
- On the next screen select if you want to have your refund mailed or deposited. Click "Continue".
- You will come to a screen where you will be asked if you filed a tax return last year. Select "Yes" and click Continue.
- You will be directed to a screen labeled "To E-file, You Must Identify Yourself to the IRS". Click the "Enter my AGI from last year's return instead" link (note: the image below is for informational purposes and is not interactive).
"Enter My AGI from last year's tax return instead"
8. Enter your AGI in the box next to the "Enter last year's AGI" phrase. If you filed jointly, enter the same AGI for you and your spouse. Click "Continue" (note: the image below is for informational purposes and is not interactive).
How to Enter Prior-Year AGI
9. The next screen will ask you to create a PIN to sign your return. This can be any five numbers you choose except "00000".
10. Click "Continue" and your return will build. On the next screen enter the security code shown on the screen and click the "E-file" button to send your return.
11. You will receive an email confirming that your return has been filed. You should hear back from the IRS in 24 - 48 hours concerning the status of your return. If you did not receive an email, make sure you do not have a spam filter blocking it.
Important: You can efile your tax return as many times as you need to without any extra charges. Simply correct your AGI or PIN and efile or re-submit your tax return again.