State Income Tax Return - State Tax Forms
You can efile one or more state tax returns together or separately from your federal tax return on efile.com. The efile.com online tax software will guide you through the process when you prepare your tax return online.
List of online state tax forms supported by efile.com.
Multiple State Tax Returns
There is no limit to the amount of state tax returns you can prepare and efile on efile.com. You can file resident, nonresident, and part-year resident returns for any state.
It costs only $19.95 on efile.com to prepare as many state returns as you need to file (other sites will charge you per state return). This is especially important if you lived in one state and worked in another state, so you have to file more than one state return.
Resident State Tax Returns
You are generally required to file a tax return for your resident state (if your resident state collects income taxes).
Part-Year Resident State Tax Returns
You generally have to file a part-year resident tax return for each state you lived in.
- If you moved from one state to another state, you will probably need to file a part-year resident tax return for both states.
- If you lived in multiple states, you will probably need to file a part-year resident return for each state.
Nonresident State Tax Returns
You generally need to file a nonresident tax return for each state in which you worked but did not reside. If you lived in one state and worked in another, you will usually need to file a resident return for the state in which you lived and a nonresident return for the state in which you worked.
You do not generally have to file a return for the state where your employer is located unless you also work there. What matters is where you earned the income, not where your employer is based.
Generally, you have to file a nonresident state tax return if:
- You earned income in a state that is not your resident state.
- Your employer incorrectly withheld taxes for a state that is not your resident state.
- You had gambling winnings in a state that is not your resident state.
- You owned rental property in a state that is not your resident state.
- You are a partner in a partnership, or a shareholder in an S-Corporation, that is based in a state that is not your resident state.
- You received income from an estate or trust that has interest in a state that is not your resident state.
Separate State and Federal Tax Returns
Even if you have already filed a federal income tax return, you can still use efile.com to prepare and efile any state income tax returns you need. Since state returns cannot be calculated without income information from your federal return, you will need to prepare a federal tax return, but you will not have to efile it or pay for it. Find out how to efile only state returns.
State Tax Deadlines and State Tax Refund Status
State Refund Information: Where Is My State Refund?
Important State Tax Day Deadlines
Prepare and efile State Income Tax Forms
Why waste your time trying to find and download tax forms from multiple places? Efile.com has them all in one location for every state, commonwealth, and territory, as well as the District of Columbia. Simply click on your state in the list below for the selection of state tax forms supported by efile.com.
Remember that when you efile on efile.com, the tax software will select and generate all the state forms you need based on the answers you give during your online interview.
List of State Tax Forms you can efile by State and other State Income Tax Information