The efile Checkout Process - Direct Deposit, PIN or AGI, Sign Return, and efile
Before you begin the efile checkout process, sign into your efile.com account then follow the steps below:
Note: The instructions below contain images and are not interactive.
Step 1: Click "File" on the left.
Step 2: Click "Continue" to proceed to the next screen.
Step 3: After the system finishes double checking your return. Click "Continue".
Step 4: After reviewing the next steps. Click "Continue".
Step 5: Select the return (or returns) you want to efile. Click "Continue".
Step 6: Click on "No Thanks" to continue e-filing your return.
Step 7: Select how you would like to receive your refund. Click "Continue".
Step 4: Enter your direct deposit information
- Enter information for the bank account where you want your refund deposited. Your name must be on the account.
- You can split your refund deposit up into 2 or 3 accounts. Just click "add another account".
- Please double check your entries. Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, you will not be able to change the direct deposit information.
Step 5: Begin signing your return
- If you filed or efiled a 2013 federal tax return, by any method (online, on paper, on efile.com, on another website, or with a tax preparer), then select "Yes". Continue to Step 5.
- If you did not file or efile a 2013 federal tax return, by any method (online, on paper, on efile.com, on another website, or with a tax preparer), then select "No". Skip to Step 8.
Step 6: (Option 1) Enter your PIN
- You must identify yourself by entering either an IRS e-filing PIN or your 2013 AGI. Using a PIN is generally the easiest option.
- Get a new IRS e-filing PIN online here: http://www.efile.com/my-efile-pin/
- Or call 1-866-704-7388.
Step 7: (Option 2) Enter your AGI
- Instead of using a PIN, you can enter your 2013 AGI. You can find it on your 2013 tax return, on the following line, according to which tax form you filed:
- 1040EZ: Line 4
- 1040A: Line 21
- 1040: Line 37
- 1040NR: Line 36
Step 8: Sign your return with a self-selected PIN
- The last step before you efile is to sign your return. Make up any 5-digit number (anything except for "00000" or "12345") and enter it in the box. This acts as your digital signature.
- Agree to the Consent to Disclosure and click "Continue" one last time.
Step 9: e-file your return
- This is it. This is where you actually efile your return(s). Enter the Security Code into the box and click "E-file Return".
- Your return(s) will not be efiled unless you click the "E-file Return" button.
Step 10: Save and print your return:
- Before you sign out, be sure to save and print a copy of your return. Click "Save Your Return" to download a PDF file copy of your completed return(s).
And that's it! Your return has been efiled. You will receive an email when your return is accepted or rejected by the IRS.
About 24 hours after your return has been accepted by the IRS, you can check the status of your refund.