How to efile Form 1040 - IRS Federal Income Taxes

What is Form 1040?

Which Form 1040 is for me?

Where do I e-file or file Form 1040?

When do I e-file or file Form 1040?

What is Form 1040?

The 1040 Form is the federal income tax form. It is used to file income tax returns for a particular tax year. There are several main types of 1040 Forms:

Which Form 1040 Is for Me?

If you e-file with you don't have to select any forms. Simply take a short online tax interview and the efile software will automatically determine the correct IRS income tax form 1040 given your situation - so you don't have to choose or select any tax forms.

Attention 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ filers: The IRS does not accept 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ forms electronically, so unfortunately you cannot prepare and efile these forms online (on or other tax websites). You can download Form 1040NR (or download Form 1040NR-EZ) and complete the form in Adobe Reader. Alternatively, you can have an efile taxpert prepare and file your return for you.

IRS Form efile or file this form if How to file
1040-EZ You meet the following criteria:

Find more Form 1040-EZ requirements


efile It

From Jan. - Oct. 15


You satisfy the following criteria:

  • Your income must be only from wages, salary, tips, interest and ordinary dividends, capital gain distributions, taxable scholarship and fellowship grants, pensions, annuities and IRA's, unemployment compensation, taxable Social Security and railroad retirement benefits, and Alaska Permanent Fund dividends.
  • Your adjustments to income must only be from educator expenses, IRA deductions, and education expenses
  • You don't itemize deductions
  • Your taxable income is less than $100,000
  • You didn't have an Alternative Minimum Tax adjustment on stock acquired from the exercise of an incentive stock option
  • The only tax credits that you claim are Child Dependent Care Credit, Elderly or Disabled Credit, Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, educational credits, Retirement Savings Contribution Credit and the Earned Income Credit

Find more Form 1040A requirements


efile It

From Jan. - Oct. 15

1040 Form 1040 covers income, deductions, and credits that cannot be reported on Form 1040-EZ or Form 1040A. This includes:

Find more Form 1040 requirements


efile It

From Jan. - Oct. 15


You are a nonresident alien if:

  • You don't have a green card OR
  • You don't satisfy the substantial residence requirements (you spent 31 days during the Tax Year and a total of 183 days over the past 3 years, calculating the total number of days by adding the total number of days spent in United States this year to 1/3 of the total number of days spent in United States last year, and then adding 1/6 of the total number of days spent in United States 2 years ago to that total)

Are you a foreign student? Find out how to file taxes as a foreign student.

Complete and print out Form 1040NR


You are a nonresident alien, but you can file Form 1040NR-EZ instead of Form 1040NR if your U.S. income only comes from the following sources:

  • Wages
  • Salaries
  • Tips
  • Refunds of state and local income taxes
  • Taxable scholarship and fellowship grants

Complete and print out Form 1040NR-EZ

1040X You need to amend your 1040 income tax form. Learn more on when to amend your tax return and how to complete form 1040X.

Prepare, mail Form 1040X


How Do I e-file or File Form 1040?

You have three options when it comes to filing your 1040 form:

List item 1 Efile your tax return. When you efile your tax return, your return is:

  • Processed faster so you get your tax refund in as little as 8 days!
  • Significantly more accurate (an e-filed tax return has a error rate of only 1% versus 20% for traditional paper tax returns)!
  • More secure than a traditional paper filing!
  • Environmentally friendly!
  • More convenient (learn about the benefits of e-filing your tax return)!

You can take advantage of's Free Federal Edition to file form 1040EZ for free and other kinds of forms for less than the competitors (Compare with other online tax preparation services!). The e-file option is only available for the current Tax Year.

Start your free return now!

List Item 2 Work With a Taxpert!

A taxpert (or tax professional) can file the correct Form 1040 for you. Just provide your tax information information and the taxpert will do the rest! There are multiple benefits to working with a live tax professional:

  • You can get answers to your tax questions from a licensed tax professional!
  • Have your TaxPro efile or file your Federal and/or State Tax Return(s) for you
  • Have your TaxPro complete your tax return for either the current or previous tax year(s) for you!
  • Enjoy the peace of mind that your taxes are being handled by a professional!

Start Working with an efile Taxpert Now

List Item 3 Mail your tax return.

If you choose to mail your tax return, it will take longer. If you are filing for a past Tax Year, then you can only mail your return; you can't e-file it. Download the IRS Form 1040 for the corresponding year (find tax forms for previous Tax Years), fill it out, and mail it to a special mailing address that depends on which state you live in and whether you are attaching a payment to your return or not.

Where to mail Form 1040

When Do I e-file or File Form 1040?

You should file your form 1040 no later than April 15th, which is the tax day deadline. Click here for a detailed overview of tax day deadlines.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Need more help? We are here to help!

Ask us a TaxQuestion! If you have a simple question that requires less than 5 minutes of research, your TaxQuestion will be answered absolutely FREE!

Post Your Simple Tax Question Now

Use our Free Tax Tools including our Tax Calculator!