Start the "DEPENDucator" (Qualifying Child Dependent Educator)

If you are the taxpayer, is this person your:
-Son or daughter
Did the person live with you for more than 6 months of the tax year?
Was the person under age 19 by Dec. 31 of the tax year?
Was the person under age 24 and a full time student?
Is the person permanently and totally disabled?
Did the person provide more than 50% of their own support during the tax year?
Are you, the taxpayer, the dependent of another taxpayer?
Is the person married, and did they file a joint return with their spouse?
Is the person (and their spouse) required to file a tax return?
If the person and their spouse file separate returns, would they owe taxes?
Did the person and their spouse file a return only to claim a refund?
Is the person a U.S. Citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico?

No. Based on your answers, this person is not a Qualifying Child. You cannot claim them as a dependent unless they are a Qualifying Relative.

Start Over

Yes. Based on your answers, you can claim this person as a dependent. They are considered a Qualifying Child.

Start Over

Try Our Other Free Tax Tools