Prepare and efile Federal and State Tax Forms Online
Don't worry! As an efile.com user, you won't have to decide which Tax Return Form to prepare and efile, you will end up with the least expensive Federal Income Tax Form, we guarantee it!
Enjoy all the benefits of preparing your taxes online and let the efile.com tax preparation software automatically select the right Federal Tax Return Form for you based on your answers during the online tax interview, no matter which efile Edition (Free, Deluxe, or Premium) you begin your online return with. Our tax software will always select the least expensive option for you based on the information you have entered.
Can I efile?
Almost all taxpayers can efile their tax returns. However, there are some special cases which will prevent you from being able to efile your return with the IRS. Below are the most common reasons:
- You are under 16 and have never filed a federal tax return
- You have $0 taxable income
- You are Married Filing Separately and live in a community property state (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin)
- Your current address is in American Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- You are a nonresident of the U.S.
- You have more than 4 states or localities on a single W-2
- You have more than 8 Schedules C
- You need to attach a written statement or additional documentation to your return
Remember that in most cases, even if you cannot file electronically, you can still use efile.com to prepare your return. But you will need to print and mail your return if any of reasons above are true.
Find out how to prepare and efile your tax return
efile Your Federal Return on efile.com:
You do not have to choose among the three Federal Income Tax Return Forms (1040-EZ, 1040-A, 1040) yourself when you prepare on efile.com; it's all done for you based on your answers during the online tax interview.
Start with any edition. efile.com will look out for you and select the right Tax Form for you, whether it's Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A, or Form 1040. Compare efile.com to other online tax preparation services.
We will always give you the least expensive service for which you qualify. With most other online tax preparation programs, once you have selected a higher level service, you cannot go back or downgrade to the correct tax forms regardless of your tax answers.
1. FREE FEDERAL EDITION: Federal Tax Form 1040EZ - If It's 1040EZ, It's FREE!
The requirements or qualifications to prepare and efile Form 1040EZ are:
- Your filing status is single or married filing jointly
- You do not claim any dependents
- You do not claim any adjustments to gross income (such as the Student Loan Interest Deduction)
- You do not claim any tax credits other than the Earned Income Credit
- You (and your spouse if filing jointly) are under age 65 and are not blind
- Your taxable income is less than $100,000
- You did not receive any advance Earned Income Credit payments
- You do not owe any household employment taxes on wages paid to household employees
- You are not a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy procedure
- You are not claiming casualty or disaster losses
- Your income is only from:
- Tips (must be reported in boxes 5 and 7 of Form W-2)
- Unemployment compensation
- Taxable scholarships and fellowship grants
- No more than $1,500 in interest income
- Alaska Permanent Fund dividends
The efile.com software will select Federal Tax Form 1040EZ for you if you meet these requirements.
Please watch this Video for more details on the Free Federal Edition.
Estimate Your Tax Return with Our FREE 2014 Tax Calculator
Start Using Our Free 2014 Tax Calculator
2. DELUXE EDITION ($29.95): Federal Tax Form 1040A
The requirements or qualifications to prepare and efile IRS Form 1040A are:
- Your income is from only:
- Wages, salaries, tips
- Interest and ordinary dividends
- Capital gain distributions
- Taxable scholarship and fellowship grants
- Pensions, annuities and IRAs
- Unemployment compensation
- Taxable Social Security and railroad retirement benefits
- Alaska Permanent Fund dividends
- Your adjustments to income are from only:
- The only tax credits you claim are:
The efile.com software will only select Federal Tax Form 1040A if you do not qualify for Form 1040EZ.
3. PREMIUM EDITION ($39.95): Federal Tax Form 1040
The requirements or qualifications to prepare and efile IRS Tax Form 1040 are:
All types of income, credits, deductions, and taxes can be reported on this form, including:
- You have self-employment income (including farm income).
- You received $20 or more in unreported tips in any one month.
- You received income as a partner in a partnership, as a shareholder of an S corporation, or as a beneficiary of an estate or trust.
- You received dividends on insurance policies if they exceed the total of all net premiums you paid for the contract.
- Your taxable income is $100,000 or more.
- You itemize deductions.
- Your Form W-2, box 12, shows uncollected tax on tips or group term life insurance.
- Your Form W-2, box 12, shows code Z.
- You owe excise tax on insider stock compensation from an expatriated corporation.
- You are a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed after October 16, 2005.
- You have an alternative minimum tax adjustment on stock you acquired from the exercise of an incentive stock option.
- You owe household employment taxes.
- You are claiming the adoption credit or received adoption benefits from an employer.
- You are eligible for the Health Coverage Tax Credit.
- You are an employee and your employer did not withhold Social Security and Medicare tax.
- You had a qualified health savings account funding distribution from your IRA.
- You have a net disaster loss attributable to a federally declared disaster.
- You had gambling income reported on Form W-2 G.
- You are claiming the Premium Tax Credit.
The efile.com software will only select Federal Tax Form 1040 if you do not qualify for Form 1040EZ or 1040A.
efile.com will look out for you and will give you the peace of mind to have efiled (or printed and mailed in) the correct Federal Tax Return Form based on your answers during the online tax interview.
Find a complete list of:
Federal tax forms and schedules
State tax forms and information
Tax refund options